Being an independent Supplier



Its Free!!! Take one!!! Mmm, tasty. Free things are very powerful at grabbing attention and offering the gift of a tasty treat - at no expense! Does the business model of free cupcakes work? What if they taste like cardboard? Well, I have some good examples how working for free can hurt your self worth. And also i have learned about giving give gifts, that don't cost you much - and to the right people.

OK, so I am working as a Filmmaker. I am self-employed, I freelance. I've kept my sanity, dignity and i love doing what i do. Below are some practical tools of where to start yourself as self employed. I want to share more information on taking care of the financial side of things too,  so for now enjoy part 1!

Here's some quickfire info you may need to know starting out self employed as a creative:
-You pick up work as and when, project by project
- You are paid how you want: hourly, as a commission, for the day...
-You have to love what you do and it's okay for your business to be a stepping stone
- You are your own administrator and do more work than your actual labour
- You pay your own tax, 20 percent + of what you earn
-You can claim expenses from your tax covering services, tools, travel.. business stuff
-Treat others how you want to feel in that situation, respect and kindness are your greatest tools
- Everyone loves a freebee, bake it out of love.

I've made plenty of mistakes. I've given my time and focused on the wrong thing, someone else's idea and more importantly gifted my time and skills in the wrong place. I had been following money. Yes! We need money and the more you have of it is pretty comforting. But to follow it blindly, to assume what's out there is worth chasing as though you want a piece of that pie. Fuck that! You give worth to money, your actions and the people you affect. You're exchanging goods, services with each other. Everyone values feeling good over anything else. Ultimately, you have to be patient and seek out similar voices and sing gratefulness back to those who give to you. Make shit you are proud of, give thanks and give because you have made your art out of love.

Independent supplier thoughts: 

When given a brief, define your role. Take notes and have a clear vision of completing the work.

Not all clients know what they need or want, its best to gather as much information as possible and pitch your ideas as you are making the thing.

Good and giving relationships=repeat business, they call on you because you've made an impact.

Pester people for answers and feedback, don't leave people hanging and always be communicative.

Keep your name in the stratosphere, create meaningful connections and actively use social media to help you.

Make great art. Be true to your ideas.

Create what want to see in the world. Imagine..

No pension schemes means fund your own savings.
No benefits means treat yo'self.

Reframe your 9-5 work ethic, always clock on and off even making in-house work.

Invest in your work space.

What do you bring to the table, what makes you worth more more?

"Paint a painting in reverse." That's how you can explain your process to someone.

Set your rates high, you can always come down.

What to charge someone for your work

Forget your minimum wage, you are doing more than one job. You are your company. Sole trader.

Hire me on commision to complete the project, factor in the below:
Hire me for the day: I've heard £200-£350 is good.
Hire me for the hour: £25-£40, you gotta do your own taxes remember and "take care of business"

Add Ons, do you get to the end of the project and there's more than work involved than initially drawn up.. Back your corner!

Pay what you can rate: does this project boost me in the right direction, does the client need this but have a small budget?

What for free thing are you able to do for someone?

What free thing are you able to do for yourself?

Epilogue 

I've found reading, listening to audiobooks and videos of inspiring people or ideas that resonate with you can really shape the way you interact with the world.

A book I'm fond of: Seth Godin - Linchpin about the working world, perfect for me as a arts graduate really got a lot out of.
Get in that library.

Buy my book  Eat my blog!

Please find me on instagram: @izaak.film
TikTok: @izaakjedkidd
www.izaakfilm.info

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOTION GRAPHICS + 2D TRADITIONAL ANIMATION. A CASE STUDY